When we are first introduced to Quentin Collins, he is a malevolent ghost haunting the West Wing of Collinwood. He is joined by the ghost of Beth Chaves. Both are mute and communicate telepathically with David and Amy. Quentin eventually gets both David & Amy under his control, threatening their lives.
Somewhere along the line we learn Beth killed Quentin in 1897 and his body was entombed in his room in the West Wing. I believe Beth then committed suicide after killing Quentin. Which explains why their ghosts are linked together.
Barnabas traveled to 1897 to discover how to undo Quentin’s haunting in 1969 and save the children. Among the various events we witness in 1897 are:
- Beth’s shooting of Quentin is prevented as is her suicide.
- Quentin’s lycanthropy is cured by Charles Delaware Tate’s painting and effectively made immortal.
- Count Petofi succeeds in switching his mind with Quentin’s as part of his plan to travel to 1969 to escape the gypsies.
- Beth attempts to escape Petofi (while he is in Quentin’s body) and falls off Widow’s Hill.
- Quentin regains control of his body and leaves Collinwood (mentioned but not actually shown).
- Gregory Trask instead of Quentin is entombed in Quentin’s room.
- It is assumed that Petofi died in the fire at Tate’s cottage (his glasses are found but not his body).
At this point Barnabas returns to 1969/1970 (after a Leviathan detour to 1796) where we eventually meet a living Quentin who survives as an immortal.
BUT several characters such as David, Amy and Roger remember Quentin as a ghost. BUT how can they remember Quentin as a ghost if he never died in the revised timeline? Rather that simply accept this as an error on the part of the writers, I feel there must be an explanation.
My theory is that when Quentin’s death was prevented in 1897 someone replaced Quentin’s ghost in the revised timeline. The most obvious person is Petofi. Petofi’s had lost much of his occult powers by the time we last saw him. If he died his spirit would have lingered. Knowing that Quentin would survive to the future, he wanted revenge. The best revenge would be to ruin his reputation before Quentin returned to Collinwood in 1970. Because he had recently switched minds with Quentin before his death, he would have been able to create the illusion that he looked like Quentin using his remaining powers. The malevolent nature of the ghost suited Petofi’s personality more that Quentin’s.
Beth’s ghost would have been linked to Petofi’s because she worked with him shortly before his death and was trying to escape from him when she died.